Wednesday, April 20, 2011

2004 Volkswagen Phaeton


2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8 Passenger Side View

I am the antithesis of the jaded automotive journalist used to driving new or long-term cars on a regular basis. I feel like a kid in a candy store each and every time an opportunity comes around to get behind the wheel of one of the many fine automobiles in the european car fleet. The memories of driving a VW Phaeton are most pleasurable. I drove the Phaeton W12 during ec's Grand Prix in 2004, and I fondly recall that experience. I found it hard to believe a company known more for the Beetle, Golf and Jetta-basic entry level vehicles-would build such a luxurious, powerful and elegant vehicle on par with anything else from Germany or England.
The list of options on ec's fully optioned Phaeton V8 pushed the sticker price just north of $72K. I was a little hesitant to start playing with all the comfort and convenience features while behind the wheel. All the driver restraints and side curtain airbags would be of no use against the wrath of Editor Bidrawn if I brought it back with wrinkled sheet metal. So, to help me explore all the creature comforts the Phaeton offers in the limited time I had with it, I drove three friends to lunch. For the 13 or so miles each way, Kelly, Calin and Tris found plenty of buttons, switches and compartments to occupy themselves.
The rear power sunshade kept the sun off their heads. When they found the manual rear side window shades it offered a sense of privacy similar to that afforded to rock stars and actors. Now they were getting comfortable and feeling like VIPs; finding the rear seat footrests pushed them over the top. When two full grown adults have enough back seat leg room to use footrests while the driver and passenger have their seats adjusted almost fully reward, it lets you know how spacious the Phaeton really is.
But the back seat fun had only just begun. The 10-way adjustable seats with power-adjustable head restraints were the icing on the cake for those two. Discovering the massage feature was the cherry on top. The massagers took away, if only temporarily, the stresses of work in just a few minutes. I was sure I was going to have to wake them up when we arrived at the restaurant.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More